Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dare to Make a Difference

Last night Elisha wrote his first letter to the child we "adopted" through Compassion International. I just had to take a picture because he was so excited and serious about it. I wish I could have gotten a pic of him with his tongue out, because when he's really focusing on his writing his tongue wiggles around his lips, it's so cute.


Here's the story behind his excitement. A few months ago our county had this thing called People Fest which had Christian vendors, Christian music artists like KJ 52 and Seventh Day Slumber (and lots more), jumpers, food, special speakers, and church presentations and admission was free. It was a two day event and we went out on both days. Well on the first day there was a man from Africa speaking on stage and my six year old was very tuned in. He was talking about how he grew up in poverty but because of a church that had a similar sponsership program like Compassion International he found Jesus and was able to get clean water and food and clothing and an education. He was saying that it only took a small amount of money a month to help a child in need. My little boy, who has such a big heart, asked me, "Mommy can we go see the pictures of the girls and boys?" I knew what was coming, I could feel it in my spirit that he was going to ask to adopt one of those little kids and there was no way I was going to deny him. So we went to the tent and had a look. He asked a few questions, and when the lady said there was a pen pal program and he could write to the child and send pictures and the child would send them back, he was so excited. He looked at me and said, "Mommy, I could give him my money from my piggy bank." I already had a plan for him though, and told him he could earn money by helping daddy with the recycling every month. He had the biggest smile on his face and the lady helped him find a little boy the same age as him. So here's the picture of him sending his first letter. He just got his first letter from the little boy last week. It's neat to see the words in his language and then tranlated to English. Elisha prays for this boy often. As you can tell, I'm so proud of him!

1 comment:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That is so cool! Our church sponsors a child through World Vision and everything comes through us, so Josiah gets to see all the letters and pictures from the little girl we adopted. I think it is sooo important to do this. We are putting our faith in action and the kids see us doing it. What a neat picture!