Monday, November 23, 2009

Hot Buttered O's

When I was a kid my mom found this recipe, I think it was on the back of the Cheerios box, for Hot Buttered O's. They suggested them a good substitute for popcorn. Ya know, in case you hate all those little kernals in your teeth. Anyway, she was kind of skeptical but thought it was easy enough and so gave it a shot. What resulted was Hot Buttered O's becoming a new family favorite. We loved it.

Recently I had a box of plain Cheerios in the cupboard and remembered how much we liked them. I had never made them for my kids and had actually forgotten how to do it. So I googled it and this is what I came up with:

4 cups Cheerios
4 tablespoons butter
salt

You melt the butter in the pan and then add the Cheerios. Stir to coat and then toast them for a few minutes after that. Add salt to taste and enjoy.

My kids did not want to try them but since Mommy made them just for family movie night they gave them a shot without much fuss. Elisha said it was better than popcorn because it wasn't stuck in his teeth. He actually asked me to make more the next day. Since my kids liked them and I like them I thought maybe I'd share here because you just might like to try them too!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh YAY!! My husband LOVES popcorn but since he got braces, he's really been missing it. The other night, he threw caution to the wind and made a bag of popcorn and regretted it later - having to pick all those little kernals out of his teeth. I'm going to have to try this recipe!

When you say 'toast' it though - do you have one of those toaster oven thingy's? Is there an alternative to this, like baking them in the oven?

Kaleena said...

I'm with Michelle, sounds yummy, but what do you mean by "toasted?"

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love surprising my kids with something that I know they'll like, but they are skeptical at first. So glad you picked a winner!

Amanda said...

I think you may be on to something... I just might make these very soon!

You are so stinkin smart girl!

Blessings-
Amadna